Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Veni Sancte Spiritus (Come Holy Spirit)




Blessed Holy Spirit,

You are the breath that makes me real.

You are the wind of creation that blew over the waters at the Dawn of Creation, turning nothing into something.  You are the force that caused the "Big Bang" for those who need an explanation. You are the silent stirring in my heart that makes me long for togetherness with the Father and Son.

You are the power of the Most High that overshadowed Mary and perfected her womanhood, endowing her virgin womb with the Savior of the World.  You are the Spirit that filled her relative Elizabeth, causing her to cry out, and the baby within her to leap with joy at the realization that the Lord was in fact, present with them!

You are the hope that every mother feels when she discovers that there is a child growing within her.  You are the love that turns a girl into a mother, and a boy into a father.  You take those two people and make them into something more complete.  A family.  A lineage.

You are the love that creates, and perfects, and beautifies every living thing.  You painted the sunsets and the flowers of the field just to bring joy to all Creation.  You make joy complete, and grief temporary.

You are that life-giving substance that fills every crack of my imperfect life, and changes my poor choices into reason for rejoicing.  You take what Christ has sacrificed for, and the Father has forgiven, and turn it from a reason for damnation, to an opportunity for salvation.  You buoy me up in my pain, and you release me from my guilt, so I may rejoice and praise and LOVE with wild abandon.  Oh, that I had no responsibilities other than to always sing your praise!

May the work of my hands praise you.  May the words of my lips ever praise you.  May my every thought and action bring glory to your name, Spirit of God.  You flow through the world amplifying the love of every single being.  You link past and present, that we never forget those who have gone before us, or forget to dream of those who are to come.  You are the Spirit that unites us, and whirls about us.  In us and through us and with us.  In all we do and every place we go.

You are the Spirit that raises the lowly, confuses the learned and shines so brightly on the simple.  You love us so vastly, that scholars have spent entire lifetimes studying and discovering the depths of you.  Yet, your love is so simple, it just...is.

Thank you for the beauty and art and music you surround me with. Thank you for the simplicity of a child's hug, and a teen's smile.  Thank you for the incredible creations you allowed me to carry within my body, gave birth to, and have the pleasure to observe them growing into adults who love you, too.

Holy Spirit, please continue to blow your warmth and creativity in the lives of my friends, especially those most in need of comfort, and re-creation. Fill our hearts with your special variety of love, so that in every moment, we praise you.

Love,

Me    




No comments:

Post a Comment