Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I wish I could be who you think I am!

A very dear young friend of mine asked me if I would be her sponsor for the sacrament of Confirmation.  This is a great honor, and one I don't take lightly.  Basically, I am being asked to stand before the bishop and put my hand on this young lady's shoulder and say (by my presence) "I'll vouch for this one!  She's ready to become a disciple of Christ all on her own, regardless of what decisions her parents make."  To be a sponsor, you must be a baptized, practicing Catholic that is willing to be a mentor of sorts to this young person, offering suggestions (or a listening ear) when this new disciple has questions or concerns about living a life of faith.  It's kind of a big deal...no, I'd say it's more than that.

It's huge.

I haven't the slightest reservation in the LEAST vouching for this young lady.  If anyone were ever called to be a disciple of Christ, this one certainly is!  She's an amazing young woman that I believe is called to sainthood. She lives her life guided by the principles she has been raised with, and God has uniquely prepared her to have a deep patience, love and tolerance with those who try the patience of others.

She had to write a letter to the bishop, and in it she had to explain who her sponsor is and why she chose me, and she had to request the sacrament, and explain why she wanted it.  She gave me a copy of this letter, and I'm still carrying it around, and still a bit teary.

Let's just say that if I can be half of the woman this girl believes me to be, I will be more blessed than words  can say.  She describes in her letter a woman I wish to be, and STRIVE to be, but that I'm not yet.  The fact that she sees me trying gives me hope! I don't want to let her down by telling her that I fail daily.  That I try so hard to be those things, and I fall short.  I'm not sure if she wants to know that, like her, I sometimes feel like the closer I try to get to God the more obstacles I find in my way. I mess up all the time, but I don't want to mess this up.

So I'll keep praying.  I'll keep muddling along, and knowing God loves me, though for the life of me, I still don't understand what He sees in me.  I pray he sees what she sees.  I pray he makes me into the woman Dawn thinks I am.  

            

1 comment:

  1. Just know that it's not just Dawn that sees great things in you. I have never met a person who didn't see the work of Christ in you and through you. You are an inspiration as a mother, a woman of God, and a friend. Many know you and all are thankful that they do! While you are praying, I'll be praying that God give you a little glimpse of what the rest of us sees in you! <3

    ReplyDelete