Popular Posts

Monday, March 2, 2015

His Other Lovers

 My dearest beloved Holy Lord,

You are my life and my love and my everything, and I know about your other lovers.

Yet, I'm not jealous or angry.

Now, if you were my worldly spouse, and there were "others", it would not be the same conversation at all.  Not even close. But you are the Savior of the World.  It's really not about me, I'm one of many, and I am strengthened and encouraged by hearing of the love you share with the other women in your life!

For example, there was that lady at the well.  She spent her life searching for love, with all those husbands (and the current non-husband) and never found what she was looking for...until she met you.  You filled her with the same kind of love you fill me with.  You looked at her and saw everything she'd ever done, and loved her. Regardless.  You knew she was created to be loved by you.  Just like me.  I can't be jealous of that.  

Or St. Agnes, who was quoted as saying, "Jesus Christ is my only Spouse," even though she could have spared her life by marrying. How can I be angry at you for loving her? Heck, I love and admire the girl myself!  

What about St. Veronica, who wiped your bleeding, agonizing face during the crucifixion?  She was so moved with love and compassion that she exposed herself (at least her hair) publicly by removing her veil to give you comfort when your friends had all deserted you.  My only jealousy is that she got to gaze upon your face, and look you in the eye.  

And it's not only women, but men as well! Stephen spoke of your love for us all, even as they gathered the stones to martyr him.  St. Augustine realized, after a life of searching for love in drunken debauchery, that the only real love is to be found in you, God! He spent the rest of his life writing volume after volume of love letters about you and to you...and to me, from you.  

When I read their writings, and the writings of all your beloved people, I realize that we are one in our love.  It isn't meant to be for only me.  Your love is not only big enough to share, it is so big that it REQUIRES sharing.  I don't know how anyone can encounter your kind of love and not share it out with everyone they meet. 

I want to share that very same love, and the very same lover with my family and friends.  I want my children to know your love intimately, to the cores of their beings, that they are good and kind and valued.  I pray that those who don't yet know you (or don't yet understand) will see you as the answer to every thirst and hunger, ache and addiction that's ever been experienced.  

I hope they will take you as their lover. Just as I have.   

Love, 

Me 

   


   

No comments:

Post a Comment