Popular Posts

Friday, March 20, 2015

Sanctified, Saved, and Inebriated

Dearest Lord Jesus, 

You know who wrote this prayer, although officials and theologians aren't entirely certain.  St. Ignatius Loyola really loved it.  I'm with him.  He encouraged all of those who followed his exercises to pray it often.  I have to admit, I get carried away with the first three lines:

Soul of Christ, sanctify me Body of Christ, save me Blood of Christ, inebriate me 

As I read these lines, every cell of my being comes alive and begs for this blessing! Yes, sanctify me!  I am nothing on my own but dust.  PLEASE make me something more than the clay from which I was formed.  SAVE ME from myself and the foolishness of a mere mortal that doesn't have your mind to comprehend the depths of what I do.  INEBRIATE ME with the blood of your covenant.  Let me swim in the sheer joy of the Spirit of YOU in the Communion cup.  Let me feel light-headed and giddy--crazy in love--with you, in the ecstasy of our togetherness. 

Water from Christ's side, wash me Passion of Christ, strengthen me 

Yes, cleanse me, and strengthen me.  Just as you would a soldier, or a traveler who has become road-weary and tired from the journey.  With the water flowing from you, the fount of Life, remove the dirty debris of my travels and strengthen me, that I might walk by your side as a true companion, and comfort YOU in your hour of need.   

O good Jesus, hear me 
Within Thy wounds hide me 

Please hear me.  Tuck me into your wounds and carry me within yourself.    

Suffer me not to be separated from Thee 

Ever.  For even the slightest second.  

From the malicious enemy defend me 

For you know I love you and I am weak.  He is cunning and knows my weaknesses.  

In the hour of my death call me 
And bid me come unto Thee 

You know how I long to be with you again.  I long to be held in your eternal embrace, and enjoy the fellowship of all of your beloved children.

That I may praise Thee with Thy saints 
and with Thy angels 
Forever and ever 
Amen 

Amen and Amen.  I cannot think of a better way to spend eternity.  I pray, and beg for the blessings of this prayer.  I'll write it again, without my interruptions.  Lord, thank you for giving someone the courage to share these words.  Bless the brain that you gifted it to, bless the hands that wrote it down, and bless the lips of all who pray it with love and faith that you are the one who sustains us.  

Love, 

Me

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from Christ's side, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O good Jesus, hear me
Within Thy wounds hide me
Suffer me not to be separated from Thee
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come unto Thee
That I may praise Thee with Thy saints 

and with Thy angels
Forever and ever
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment