Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Killing

"For you have died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ your life appears, then you too will appear with Him in glory."  Colossians 3:3-4

Dearest Lord,

What wonderful news!  I have died, and now await for you to appear, and me with you!  I always want to be with you.

First, there's a little more dying to be done.  Here's the part that comes next...

"...Put to death, then, the parts of you that are earthly: immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and the greed that is idolatry."  

Let the killing begin!  It would be so much easier to go "Old Testament" on it, and just sacrifice some turtle doves, or a goat or something.   It's way harder to kill the stuff inside.  The thoughts and desires that lead me to death have got to go.  It's literally me or them.

The hard part is that these things have become so ingrained that I have to look hard to see them.  That doesn't mean they aren't there. It means I have to give a good hard look at what's really inside.  I know how all of these vices kill me, but how do I kill them?

I will start by starving them to death.  I'll take away their power over me by keeping my eyes on YOU and neglecting them.  If I have passion, let it be towards you.  Let my desire be towards making you happy.  Let me be greedy only for more of you, and more Love.  Then there's more.

"But now you must put them all away: anger, fury, malice, slander and obscene language out of your mouths."

Lord, please help me to put all of these away.  I get angry.  I get furious. I say mean things and I get a potty mouth on occasion. Help me to not just put them away, but to REMOVE THEM.  If I put them away, I'll just get them back out again!

Help me to kill what tries to kill me. Help me to end what tries to end me.

Help me to die to my selfish ways so I can live lost in you forever in glory.

Love,

Me.






No comments:

Post a Comment