Popular Posts

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jesus and Matzo

In preparation for my Religious Education class tomorrow, I've been reading a lot about the Passover.  More specifically the Passover meal, or Seder Meal.  It's got me in a really deep thought about how it wouldn't be unusual for Jesus to take the bread and ask the blessing over it and break it and share it, because that is a prescribed part of the Seder meal.  It is blessed to thank our Maker for bringing bread from the Earth.  That specific unleavened bread (Matzoh) is called the Bread of Freedom since it is the bread that was cooked quickly (no time for yeast) when it was time for Moses to move his crew out of there the SECOND Pharaoh said GO! 

Jesus held up that bread, the Bread of Freedom, and said.  "This is my body which is given up for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven."  Wow.  He's still our Bread of Freedom.  One piece of the Matzo is hidden and eaten last as a sign of redemption.  Our Bread of Freedom is not only a sign of Redemption, but Redemption made flesh.    

I love LOVE learning more about the Jewish heritage that is part of our heritage as well.  The more I learn the more I realize that I don't know.  I have nothing but love and respect for all of God's people, and our Jewish brethren (and sister-en) were God's people before He offered His sonship to the rest of us.  Remember that as you go through this next most Holy Christian Week.  

Blessings! 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment