Popular Posts

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Earth Weeps

The sun tried to peek out for a few minutes today, but the clouds overtook it.  It felt a bit like the Earth was in mourning. Indeed, she lost a dear friend yesterday. Peter died, and a sad dismal rain brought a cold wind that felt like sorrow. Our Earth just couldn't bear the loss of her dear friend that loved her so much.  Perhaps she was the only one he knew how to love completely.  He didn't expect anything from her except a few fish, some mountains to climb, and some wildlife to admire, and she didn't fail him ever.  She would be there for him, no matter how loud he shouted, or how angry he got.  He will be cremated, and his ashes will become a part of his beloved Earth, and the two shall become one. 


I only knew the guy for a few days, but long enough to know that his healthiest relationship was probably the one with the planet.  Not all of us are meant to be brothers and sisters and aunts and uncles.  Not every person enjoys the company of others. I think that's why the Earth Weeps.  I think she weeps for all those who have pushed others away until they have no one left to weep for them. 


There was a story in the newsletter from Ministry with Community about one of their members dying in the McDonald's restroom.  This bothered me to the core.  Did his heart stop, just like mine?  Was anyone willing to help him? Or were they afraid to touch him because he was dirty or smelly.  Did someone love him?  Please tell me he didn't die alone.  Was someone looking for him, or did he just lay there for hours.  Alone.  Unloved.  No one to pray for him.  I have no idea what this man looked like, but I see an image of him every week in Mass.  There is a part when we ask God's Mercy on those who have gone on before us, and my heart sees the images of those with no one to pray for them.  I picture the ones who freeze to death outside in the cold.  Can you picture what they looked like making their First Holy Communion?  Were they the apple of Mom and Dad's eye?  What happened?  How did they get there?  How did they get so lost?


I'm usually sobbing by this point in the Mass.  It's okay.  Everyone knows I'm a cryer.  (It only freaks out the visitors.) I look down the pew at my kids.  They are usually paying attention.  Simon is usually keeping everyone else in check.  Sylvia prefers to sit in the next pew so she can take off her shoes without me frowning and shaking my head no.  I look at my beautiful children and pray that God will keep them dear and close to me.  I pray that they never feel unloved and unvalued.  I pray that they ALWAYS know I am praying for them, and that our love for each other (and God) keeps us connected.  No matter how far apart we are.  I pray that the Earth will never need to weep for them, as they will be surrounded by beloved sisters and brothers to cry with them and for them...and rejoice with them!  I pray that they will turn to home when they feel hopeless and sad and lonely.  I pray that no matter how upset we get at each other, we never let our words kill the love we have for one another. I pray they will find their way back if they get lost.  I pray that they will live their lives in a way that will make their departure form this Earth a  Heavenly celebration.


Today, the Earth wept.  Do you know someone she wept for, besides Peter?  Please pray for them.  And pray for those lost who have pushed aside the love they once knew.  Help them remember what it's like to be loved.  Just pray.  God will do the rest. 


Blessings!                 

No comments:

Post a Comment