Popular Posts

Monday, April 18, 2011

Welcome Back...

Tonight I had the opportunity to catch up with some old friends.  Actually, they were people I used to spend one night a week with, and I was very involved in their lives.  I haven't seen them in YEARS!  Arnold Horshack couldn't join us, but Epstein and Freddie "Boom Boom" Washington were there with Mr. Kotter and of course, my favorite teenage hottie, Vinnie Barbarino!  The cast of "Welcome Back Kotter" received an award on TV Land, and it felt like a class reunion.  Also in attendance were the cast of Family Ties, another family I laughed with and cried with (and grew up with!)  So many memories!  So many hours spent with these fictional people who helped form my thinking.

Two artists received an Icon Award for their 34 hit songs, 6 of which were #1's.  These were not fictional people, it was Darryl Hall and John Oates.  I know they aren't fictional because I met them.  Live, in person, on my 16th birthday.  It was amazing!  I was so mad at my Mom that afternoon because she made me take a nap.  A NAP!!!  Are you out of your MIND!  I'm 16 YEARS OLD!!!!!  Ooh!  I was steamed, and to make it even worse, I fell right asleep.  Mom....Grrrr.  Then, they wake me up and say I need to get ready to leave.  Mind you, they haven't told me about the concert yet.  So now I'm cranky, half-awake, have bed head, and I'm 16, and I'm still a little peeved at my Mom about the whole NAP situation, and my mind can't quite fathom what is happening.

"What concert?" I finally start to piece it all together.  "Hall and Oates?  THE Hall and Oates! AAHHHH!!!" This was the 1983 version of the coolest birthday gift EVER! Plus, Chris was driving, and Diane and Suzie were going, so it was going to be very VERY cool!  After the concert, my dear sister and beloved friends utilized some of their best stalking tactics, and followed Hall & Oates to their hotel.  I met John Oates quietly standing in the hallway signing autographs.  He wished me a happy birthday.  I was excited that I was taller than him, but I didn't mention it.  He is a musical GIANT!  Then here comes Darryl Hall running down the corridor with q-tips sticking out of his ears and his mouth like fangs. He's screaming and clearly having a great time.  BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!!!  (Love you, Mom!)

What a great memory!  What a great day!  I love it when something takes you back so completely like that.  So much has changed.  Darryl Hall looks rough.  Epstein got fat.  Michael J. Fox is fighting Parkinson's Disease.  Diane Graham died in 1986.  I was devastated.  She was my sister's best friend, but she was like a bonus sister to me.  Suzie was her big sister and Chris is mine, so we were the "little sisters".  She made me feel free to be myself.  She made it okay to be fun and swing in parks, and be a little wild and crazy! She also knew all the lyrics to the entire "Mr. Roboto" album, which at the time was very important.  I don't remember when Family Ties or Welcome Back Kotter were cancelled.  But I'll never forget what real loss felt like.

One cool thing about that reunion/award show was that even though the actors had gotten older, slower, grayer (except John Travolta, he's just beautiful!), you could still recognize the part of them you once knew.  The glint in their eye, or that certain smile connects to something in your heart that they made you feel.  The TV characters were fictional, but the people playing them were real.  Even though they never knew me, they took this job to entertain me, or teach me, or make me feel a certain way.  I am so grateful.

Tonight I asked my children which apostle was their favorite.  (Seems totally off subject, right?)  Even though they never knew me, they, too took on a mission to teach me, and make me feel a certain way, and to allow me to model my life after someone real, not fictional.  Can you imagine THAT award show?  Receiving the "I Won't Believe it Til I See It Award, Thomas....also called Didymus!"   Yay...applause, scanning the tuxes in the audience.  He comes up to receive his award from Peter, the presenter.  I hope Diane will be there in a blue designer dress with lots of sequins. 

Yeah!  I can hardly wait for THAT reunion show......

Blessings!       

No comments:

Post a Comment