Popular Posts

Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Most Amazing Body

One day the Creator took some dirt and formed a human body out of it.  It was dirt.  Body-shaped dirt, but dirt none the less. When he blew the Spirit of Love into it, it became alive.  The flesh had life and was able to live and breathe and become a "being".  Not a "been", not a "gonna be", but a human "being". We are that being.  What are you "being" today? 

When my kids asked me how babies were made, I told them.  "God takes a little piece of Dad and a little piece of Mom and mixes it all together in Mom's belly and bam...there you are."  We are all just body-shaped dirt, until the Spirit of love enters, then it's a whole new life.  Jesus could have been told the same.  "God the Father took a piece of Holiness (Dad) and mixed it with a piece of flesh (Mom) and came up with a whole new kind of body!"  That is the most Amazing Body.  The Body of Christ that we are all invited to join.  I really felt like a part of that body today.

Just for a while after we receive Communion, we are one with the ENTIRE body of Christ.  All Believers.  All Time.  Past.  Present. Future.   All generations past to all generations to come are all together in those few moments.  Every Mass ever celebrated, anywhere, all comes back to the one time and place. It makes me wonder.  When Jesus had the last supper, and he broke the bread and said, "Take this and eat it, this is my body which will be given up for you."  Was he seeing ME?  Was he talking to ME?  Did he see the past, present and future converge all at once, feeling the presence of every believer ever to follow?  Was he looking at every one of us, even then?  If he did, I hope it gave him the confidence and courage to continue his mission.  We were (and are) all counting on him. 

Sometimes after Communion, I feel so connected to all those who have gone on before me.  Today it was a special blessing.  Not just to connect with those who have died, but to connect with the same people I love now, only at a younger and more innocent time of their lives.  I was picturing my beloveds taking their First Communions.  I saw the joy and love and passion for Christ in the eyes of those who have now grown colder.  I felt the bittersweet tears of those of us returning to God, knowing we don't deserve a fatted calf and a robe.  We'd really rather just slip in quietly and slop the hogs, thanks.

And as always, I am amazed to find how God knows EXACTLY what you need to hear from the pulpit.  He gives those around you the right words to say.  He lets you be needy when you need to, and needed when you need that.  He lets you be the strong one and weak one in turns to keep us humble, yet hopeful.  Amid all our myriad of questions, the answer is always the same.  "Because I love you."  Why can't I get this right?  "Because I love you."  Why are these kids being so awful to each other? "Because I love you."  Why is this life so hard some days?  "Because I love you."  Why?  Why do you love me so much when I'm just a body-shaped dirt pile...full of  love?  "Because I love you...and you are MINE."

We don't get to pick how He shows us his love, but rest assured, that's exactly what He's doing. He let that blind guy be blind his whole life, just so Jesus could heal him.  Why?  "Because I love you."  His story made it into the Bible!  Have you ever read the chapter about the people who just kind of floated along on happiness and bliss and nothing ever really challenged them or made them stronger?  That's because there ISN'T one! 

Know God loves you.  He does.  He asked me to mention it.  Now go have a great day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment