Popular Posts

Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday

Happy Good Friday!  I am still in the pajamas I wore to bed last night.  I finally got off the couch about 2:30, just in time to watch my family leave for Church.  I'm sick and whiny, and I hope God blesses this blog, because I REALLY feel like I have nothing but yuckiness to share.  I have mostly slept all day, and missed out on the really good stuff like decorating eggs, and the Good Friday service that speaks so well to my heart. 

The apostles slept, too.  Jesus said, stay here and keep watch with me.  He was anxious and worried, and probably a little freaked out at what was about to happen.  His humanity was showing, and it's so completely human to want to be surrounded by your loved ones in times of trouble.  The problem was, their leaving him was going to add to the sadness of that trouble.  They couldn't even stay awake with him for one hour!  Neither could I.  I felt like a total failure.  Not that Jesus needs me, I think he'd like me to be there, though.  He just wanted his friends to have his back for a minute, while he pours out his humanity to his Heavenly Father.  He was frightened and lonely, who can blame him?  

He falls prostrate.  Face down and full out on the ground.  The priest does this also, in the Good Friday service.  Just like Jesus.  Last year, I watched the priest in Missouri do this at the chapel on the Army base.  We spent Good Friday and the whole Easter Weekend there, watching Misty join the Church.  The priest there had on BDU's and combat boots under his robes.  It was the first time I thought of Jesus as a warrior or soldier.  It was also the first time I realized how many times the soldiers are mentioned in the Crucifixion story.  I was also very aware that each of the soldiers in this chapel had taken an oath to protect and defend me and my freedom...even to their own death...and some of these basic trainees would actually make that great sacrifice. 

There is no greater Love than to lay down your life for a friend.  But if you aren't called to that degree of sacrifice, you could start with a little compassion.  Stay awake with a friend.  Pray with them and for them.  Listen to a friend.  Be a friend.  Forgive someone who hates you and heaps on punishments you don't deserve.  That would be a very Christian thing to do.  Try praying while laying prostrate, full out and face down on the floor.  (Or in your bed, if you don't want to scare the people you live with.) 

I'm going to thank God for helping me fast.  Crackers and 7-up, no problem.  I'm also going to ask him to remove from me whatever keeps me far from Him, whether it be viral, spiritual, bacterial, or just plain stubbornness.  Thank you, Jesus for your sacrifice.  I don't deserve your love, but I'm so glad you chose to love me anyway! 

Blessings!          

No comments:

Post a Comment