Popular Posts

Thursday, March 31, 2011

What a Fun Day!

What an incredible gift today has been!  It was FUN DAY at school! There was an assembly with a clown, a movie, and carnival games.  It was a badly needed last hurrah before Spring Break.  Thank you Corrie and Lauren for making this event happen, and being a blessing to the kids (and adults) in our school.  

I have had a few rough days at school.  Today was the kind of day that reminds me why I work there.  I had two kids get sick, and I was there to comfort them.  One was even kind enough to vomit in the trash can.  Wasn't that thoughtful of her? I got to watch the little guy who has struggled to keep his rage intact all week dance "the Chicken Dance" with wild abandon, shouting, "This is my favorite song!  I love this dance!!"  I loved it too.  For a few minutes he was just like every other kid.  It was bliss. 

I got to watch one of our attention-seekers get to be the star of the show when his mentor came to the Carnival and watched him play the games.  He was so sweet.  He made me think of a tomcat strutting around, begging to be petted, rubbing his head against your leg and purring, "Look at me!  Who loves the kitty?"       

After school, I took the kids out to dinner at Applebee's.  (Luke had choir practice.) I lost out on the Mother of the Year Award, as I caught myself yelling, "Harriett, SHUT UP!...and fasten your seat belt." I love her so much and she got the genetic trait of being unwilling to stop arguing a point until...well, ever.  I have many family members with this trait.  Many of whom I birthed.  Under threat of going home to have Peanut Butter & Jelly (which Isaac actually applauded) we turned our behavior around, and had a lovely dinner.  My children were angels.  They ordered their food and talked with each other politely while waiting for it to come.  Once Sylvia stopped timing the waiter, everything was great!  The food was delicious, and we totally enjoyed sharing bites with each other.  Lydia gave Simon her extra garlic-smashed potatoes (almost as good as Aunt Chris makes.) They were so well-behaved, I ordered this huge cookie/sundae dessert thing, and we all shared it. How fun! 

There was a moment when we walked into the restaurant that was kind of strange.  At a table there were three ladies and four (or five) little babies in their car seats.  They were so cute and little!  I looked at my kids standing there with me for a long minute.  Isaac towers over me.  Lydia is taller than me, and Harriett is almost my same height.  Simon and Sylvia aren't "little" any more.  It was bittersweet.  Where did my babies go?  It wasn't very long ago that I had my very first son.  Then a minute later Spencer was born.  Then came the rest...single file (God and I had a deal about that.)  They were only babies for a second, and now they seem so grown.  Sometimes I miss those moments of holding that sweet new person and smelling their fresh baby breath.  

I think the older my kids get the more I feel connected to Mary.  It says in the Bible that she "saved up all these things in her heart."  I get that.  She LOVED that baby Jesus!  She held him close to her heart, and helped him grow up.  I'm sure at some point she saw him becoming a grown man and feared the day he would leave her to join his Father's Family Business.  Dreaded it, but was excited to see him reach his potential.  Maybe that's why she gave him a shove at the Wedding at Cana. (I understand he waited until he was in his 30's to start his ministry.)  "Do whatever he tells you."  is what she told the servants there. 

Do whatever he tells you.  She was all about Jesus.  I love my kids, and I get so excited when I see them "do whatever He tells them."  Like praying together out loud at Applebee's.  They initiated it.  Not one of them hesitated.  It's just what they do.  Their father taught them that.  

What's he telling you to do?  Have a fun day?  Love your children?  Honor who they are right now, and remember they are still that little baby on the inside?  Maybe he's telling you to give them a little shove to reach their full potential, even knowing it's going to hurt a little.  I don't know.  I just know I had a great day with my school kids, and my home kids.  

Blessings!   

No comments:

Post a Comment