Popular Posts

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Frisbees of Love!

One year for Christmas I wrapped up an old frisbee and gave it to my cousin Chuckie.  My family thought it was hilarious, but I just couldn't stand the thought of someone going without a present at Christmas.  I pretty much can't stand the idea of people going without any time, especially my cousin, who I love very much.

So what made me think of this now?  Christmas was months ago, but I feel like someone is going without something really important, and it breaks my heart.  It might be you.  If it is, let me know.  (I have lots of frisbees.) 

I see lots of lonely people who are looking for someone to listen.  It feels like they are going without the gift of being valued.  Those of you who know me realize that I can and will talk to anyone, anywhere.  I learned the talking to strangers part from my Dad.  He's never met a stranger, either.  I'm trying this thing I learned from my Nun Camp friend, Mary.  She loves to walk up to strangers and ask,"So, what's your story?"  I LOVE this!  She has listened to some amazing stories from people.  She's quite amazing herself!  She got hit by lightening once.  A-mazing.

Some of my peeps down at Ministry with Community seem lonely, until you play Bingo with them.  Then they come alive!  They just want to have fun, be involved, and win some Bingo Prizes!  It don't matter if it's socks or chap stick...I'm a be a WINNER!!!  They also have amazing things to say.  They just need someone to take the time to listen.  Last time I was there, a new friend explained the way of the Samurai to me.  It seems that the job of the Samurai was to protect everyone in the village before himself.  He was to keep everyone safe, even to his own death.  This guy told me Jesus was the ultimate Samurai.  Hmm.  I never saw it that way.  I'm glad I listened. 

I remember Aunt Kay telling me all kinds of cool things.  She just wanted someone to come see her.  She just wanted to be valued.  I feel a bit sad that she didn't get to meet her grandson.  It's too late now, she's gone.  Maybe I'm the one missing out on her. Sylvia still holds her memory very dear.  And also the Santa bears that Aunt Kay gave her.  And the doll house.  Aunt Kay was generous to a fault. 

Who are you missing out on?  Who is missing out on you?  One thing I learned from meeting Pete was that I don't want to wait until it's too late to repair my broken relationships.  I don't want to live in a self-imposed loneliness because I'm too rigid or too stubborn to say I am wrong or sorry or whatever.  If I've done something to you that hurt you or made you feel less than lovable, I am so sorry.  Please forgive me now, and talk to me about it now, so we can enjoy each other's friendship while we can. 

Thank you for listening to me.  Thank you for reading my thoughts and making ME feel valued.  Call someone, or stop by and see them.  Be a good listener today.  Send your cousin a frisbee.  It's the thought that counts.   

No comments:

Post a Comment