Popular Posts

Friday, March 7, 2014

RETREAT!



I will be on retreat for the next 3 days with my Confirmation class which includes my daughter Lydia.  I'm really looking forward to this time together, but I'm a little troubled by the definition of the word "Retreat". 

 

 re·treat
riˈtrēt/
verb
  1. 1.
    (of an army) withdraw from enemy forces as a result of their superior power or after a defeat.
    "the French retreated in disarray"
    synonyms:withdrawretire, draw back, pull back/out, fall back, give way, give ground, beat a retreat, beat a hasty retreat More
noun
  1. 1.
    an act of moving back or withdrawing.
    "a speedy retreat"
    synonyms:withdrawal, pulling back More
  2. 2.
    a signal for a military force to withdraw.
    "the bugle sounded a retreat"
 

We have been describing Confirmation as a kind of graduation from boot camp.  It only STARTS your life of learning and service, it's not the end.  However, I don't see this army backing down from any power that is superior, and I KNOW there's no defeat in sight for us. Jesus already won the war.  So I guess we'll stick with the noun versions of the word.  We will be moving back and withdrawing.  We will be holed up in the Stanley Center discussing our future plans and where we are at the moment.  I believe this is the reason for a retreat as defined in #2 above.  

Perhaps our little band of soldiers needs to withdraw and assess what strengths we have and to reinforce those areas of spiritual weakness.  Perhaps we need to see where everyone in the group stands, and get them the provisions they need to become a fully functional force of good in this needy world. 

I am looking forward to having my batteries charged, and being there for whoever needs what I may have to offer.  I pray that God will bless the whole lot of us.  I pray that His Spirit will work in us and through us and around us, making us strong and helping us grow.  

Are you ready for a retreat, or are you ready to charge?  

    





No comments:

Post a Comment