Popular Posts

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

LISTENING LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD!

LISTEN

That's what the Father said from the cloud when Peter was babbling on about setting up a tent for Moses and one for Elijah.  He said,

This is my Chosen Son.  Listen to Him.

I'm trying so hard to listen, but I'm babbling like Peter.  I never thought about it like this until now, but when it comes to listening to God, I'm like the kids in my Pre-Kindergarten (Young Fives) class.  I have something that I think is really important to say, and God is doing the same thing I do every day in class, curbing, redirecting, correcting, and I'm totally oblivious.

Here's a sample of a typical Young Fives interaction:

Okay, who can raise their hand and tell m..
I HAVE A CAT!  MRS. SWAGER, I HAVE A CAT.
It's not your turn, who can raise their hand and te...
EXCUSE ME! EXCUSE ME! I HAVE SOMETHING TO TELL YOU...
I HAVE A CAT!
Please don't interrupt.  Who can tell me what letter this is?
EXCUSE ME!  IT'S A B! I DON'T HAVE A B IN MY NAME.  I HAVE A ...
You are right, this is a B.  What sound does it...
I HAVE A CAT! AND IT SCRATCHED ME!
We're talking about the letter B right now, we'll talk about cats later.  What sound does...
EXCUSE ME! CAT DOES NOT HAVE A B! EXCUSE ME!  MY NAME DOES NOT START WITH  B! B IS NOT MY LETTER! 
Please listen!  This letter is B and the sound is /b/.  (The catgirl is up and walking around the room now.)
Take your finger out of your nose and go wash your hands, please! (This is the 4th time Mr. "Excuse me" has been asked to remove his finger.)  
Mrs. A-wogger, I know a word that starts with B!  Moon!  Moon starts with a B!  No, wait, that's not a B. 
EXCUSE ME!  I DON'T HAVE A CAT.  

You get the idea, right?  Except When it's God and I it looks more like this:

THIS IS MY CHOSEN SON, LISTEN...
Hi God, it's me Amy.  I'm nervous about my kids again. They're all growing up so fast, and some of them are in the Army, and it makes me nervous, but I trust that you are going to take care of them and I just...

THIS IS MY CHOSEN SON, LISTEN TO H...

I know I need to listen to Him, but I was thinking maybe I could write a letter to each of my godkids and then make a cake or some cookies.  I have to get something out to thaw for dinner tomorrow, and it needs to have a lot of veggies since Lydia and Harriett gave up meat for lent...

LISTEN TO HIM! 

I am really listening to what you're saying, but I'm really worried about my girlfriend whose Father-in-law just died, and I don't know what to do to help her...

LISTEN! IT'S MY TURN, PLEASE DON'T INTERRUPT, I WANT YOU TO BE STILL AND KNOW THAT I AM GOD... 

 I have a cat, Lord.  I have a cat.  Excuse me, but I have no idea what's really important.  What I know is that I am a bad listener, I have a cat, my name does not contain a B, I have low tolerance for nose-picking, and I really REALLY want to be the student you'd like me to be...if I was only developmentally ready.    

LISTEN!

That's what I'm trying to do.  I'm glad God is an infinitely better and more patient teacher than I am!  
     

No comments:

Post a Comment