Popular Posts

Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Phantom and the Triduum

Dear Jesus,


Today is the beginning of the Triduum (or Three Days) as you well know.  It's the time when the Easter Celebration begins with the remembrance of your Last Supper, and your agony in the garden of Gethsemane.  Father Chris will wash the feet of some of the young men in our parish, just as Pope Francis will continue his tradition of washing the feet of some of the young people in a Juvenile Detention facility in Rome.  You washed the feet of your own followers.  This is an amazing show of love to me.  You know how I feel about feet.

Today was also the first time I've seen the musical "The Phantom of the Opera".  I have to admit, it took a while for me to get into it.  I didn't know the story ahead of time.  I didn't know the characters or the setting (except I was pretty sure there was a Phantom, and it took place at an Opera.)  I suspect a lot of people go into Easter the same way.

At the Wharton Center, I was surrounded by people who had intimate knowledge of the story and the characters.  They looked forward to seeing THIS recreation of the story they know and love so well.  How will THIS actress represent Christine?  How well will THIS actor sing the part of Raoul? Will this Phantom be able to bring Andrew Lloyd Weber's hoped-for emotions to life?

It really IS just like the Triduum Celebration, except I know this story intimately!  I'm surrounded by others who know the story and love the characters, but it's so much more.  We all look to see if THIS Triduum will represent you properly.  Who will sing the litany of the Saints?  Who will read the parts of your passion story?  Will this presentation of the Gospel story bring about our Heavenly Father's hoped-for message?  I know it will!

There was a moment in the play that, despite being unfamiliar with the story really touched me. It's towards the end, and the Phantom has revealed that he loves Christine, even if it's a twisted, self-centered type of love.  She looks at this "hideous monster" (that has taught her to love the beauty of song, and how to sing better than she'd ever hoped) and asks God to help her let him know he is NOT UNLOVED.  She kisses him, and hugs him, and he changes.  Now he knows.


It's so completely YOU!   We are the monsters.  Self-seeking and ugly, we long to love you by possessing you.  We are greedy and want you to do what we wish for you, not what's best for you.  Even when we have moments of beauty, we forget that we are NOT UNLOVED.

Thank you for the Phantom.  Thank you for the Triduum, Thank you for kissing me and hugging me and making me KNOW that I am NOT UNLOVED.

I am changed, and this is just the beginning.

Love,

Me    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment